Saturday, November 11, 2006

"Metphone" helmet enables crystal clear communication at construction sites.

A Japanese consultancy for JR East has developed a new kind of helmet, called the "metphone," that allows people to talk over loud noises at construction sites. A thin, sheet-like speaker inside the helmet allows users to hear the voices of other helmeted workers amidst building demolitions and high-speed, hard core drilling. There's also a small amplifier for cell phone connections so you could call your mama and ask her what's for dinner in the middle of your workday. With the abundance of useless construction projects that have been sprouting all over the country and wasting our tax dollars (tax yens?), this invention will allow many to communicate at work, handsfree, without the invasiveness of earphones. 2000 units are slated to go on sale soon for 19,800 yen each. I wish I could say these worked in night clubs, too--technically, they do--but I just don't think anybody will want to talk to you if you go out wearing this with your spaghetti straps. Sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home