
Comedian Masaki Sumitani's
Hard Gay act mostly pokes fun at the LGBT community--he's totally straight, at least so he claims--but two former husbands are currently fighting for their rights to become women. According to a 2004 law on transgender rights, previously unmarried Japanese are allowed to legally change their gender as long as two doctors diagnose them as having "gender identity disorder." The two men (women?) in question have already had their thingys cut off and go by girl names now, but their marital record prevents them from being legally recognized as women.
I know a lot about transgender law in the US thanks to
Donita Ganzon. The law is not perfect anywhere. I'm all for gender rights, and I hope these guys get what they want. And I also think Sumitani should come out of the closet, like, right now, and stop making excuses that he was doing "research" at gay bars on Osaka.
Full story
here.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home